1.17.2010

A sense of privilege among journalists in major media companies

I have annoyed a sense of privilege in media industry. What kind of privilege? Well, when you read articles on movies introducing newly released, I can feel some sort of negative vibes... sorry for abstract expression. I feel like I can see the behind process to publish those types of articles.

When I read an interview with Michael Moore recently, I have noticed that it is a timing to release his latest movie. That is why he came to Japan, and there were some "coordinators" to put articles on him as advertisement. Yes, advertisement.

I agree that Michael's points of view is interesting, and I want to read what he is trying to reveal or think for his next. At the same time, I start to guess the writer may communicate the people in advertisement agencies, who show the movie before releasing. And it is always for free. They tend to say "if you don't see this movie before interview, we cannot allow you to have an interview with him". In addition, they may say after reading articles, "your article is too small even we provide long interview time so we will reconsider your offer next time".

Friday is just the day before newly releasing new films. When you see the newspapers evening editions, you can see many movie articles. The writers actually write movie articles including interviews with celebrities. This is the privilege. They can meet and talk with celebs, and sometimes get signs from celebs.

But, is it really important to collect information on newly films especially major movie companies? What about the small but important insights not on commercial basis? If you are a journalist and have a certain philosophy on culture, it is hard to just follow the advertisement.