3.23.2008

Thinking of Aid

I watched a TV program on Angola (Republic of Angola). Ms. Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, one of the Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF went there and meet people who suffer with problems of education, poverty, health, and the like.

I remember one guy from Kenya. When I was in the UK, a postgraduate student from Kenya said to me, "people care each other in Kenya, and neighbors are like a big family". As same as today, I heard many stories of crimes in Japan, so I asked him "To be honest, when I look at Japan, a rich country, I wonder the meaning of being wealthy. Is it necessary for us to be even though we get rid of the minds such as caring or helping people?" His answer was wealthy was really important. Good quality of road, water, and other infrastructure are the basic to live in this world.

And, the program I watched this afternoon showed the same points to me. Angola has oil, so many foreigners have begun to visit there. However, there is a gap between rich and poor. I try to make a list as follows:

1. Clean water
It suddenly rains harder and there was no drains. The road immediately becomes like a small river. People there need water in their daily life, so they use springs which are not always clean. This means they live with infections diseases.

2. Shortage of Doctors/No telephone
Once they suffer diseases, they need to wait for medical examinations or consultation. The number of doctors is not enough and there is no booking system or telephone to ask to come and visit patients' places.

3. Education
There is a shortage of classrooms. Those who are not able to enter a classroom, they need to go out and be taught under the sun. According to the TV program, many adults also want to learn many things at school.

4. Minefields
It is said that there are about 8 millions of landmines.

5. Malaria
Mosquitoes are mediators to deliver Malaria. In the program, the UNICEF gave many mosquito nets (we call it Kaya) to patients at hospitals. According to the report, there was an ancient tradition not to sleep inside of something because it would bring bad things.

I begin to think to act in some ways to take in consideration of a gap between rich countries and poor. Realistically speaking, it is easy to rely on some social group to get involved with this matter. I know one guy from an African country who thank for a Foster parent program. Making action will be a big step.

I put some URL about the UNICEF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Children%27s_Fund

http://www.unicef.org/people/people_tetsuko_kuroyanagi.html