12.28.2008

Made in Bangladesh



This is my pass case which I bought in Tokyo today. This was made in Bangladesh. The price is around 20 dollars.

This product was sold by Motherhouse, a Japanese company. The president is a young lady who wants to build up a certain level of brand from developing country like Bangladesh. When you buy the products, it means your money can support Bangladesh's economy.

I met her a couple of years ago, and sometimes receive email information on this company's activity. Some media have introduced Motherhouse and it is getting to be famous.

I went to its shop with my friends finally today. I keep thinking to buy something and want to contribute in some way so far, and the shop was very nice design and good atmosphere.

This case was made of leather in Bangladesh. The company has its own factory there, and hires many local people. Providing the place to work will lead self-dependence style in economy.

I am not sure in detail, but I have sometimes heard a story that giving money to governments tends to lead to corruption. This business style shows another way to assist developing countries' economy.

Today I bought one, and I will start thinking of Bangladesh much more when I use this case.