1.11.2009

Our news VS Other people's news

The title is one topic which we discussed at the postgraduate course in Leeds. When I live in Japan, I can notice that many newspapers set the value judgement onto much information. I mean, they classify news into two categories, the ones which are related to Japan, and the others are not.

I know the fact that many people from the world have been living in Japan, but they seem to act the fact is just rare. They tend to set the line between Japanese and non-Japanese, and the latter is hard to share "Japanese common sense".

When I think of my workplace, most of us seems Japanese. I cannot find anybody from the US, the UK, African countries, China... This may create misunderstanding in many dimension.

I think it is important to use our imagination toward the globe. There are people who are living as we do and some have faced with troubles caused by politics, economy, environment, and so on, and our future has possibility to be like their current situation.