10.25.2008

Stand for the Weak

This week was very tough for me. There were a tons of work to be done within short time, and I needed to research many things related to the stock market. I have once checked the Wall Street Journal, but the terms were difficult enough to translate into easy Japanese.

The Japanese stocks declined sharply today. In a sense, the turbulence generally stimulates the journalists' minds. We can see something new when we face with the unusual things. But today, I have been feeling unhappy because I am thinking of an old lady who purchased stocks with her money savings to use for the rest of her life.

I saw a news program which she was introduced. She seemed unfamiliar with the market. I can guess that the security company just sold some products to her without enough explanation on risks. She said she got so disappointed with recent market movement. It has been secret among family members about this loss.

I am now thinking of the journalism concept, stand for the weak. I just tend to follow what happens in front of me. It takes time to find and understand the weak's voice, but it does not mean it is okay not to do it. I think this is the time to use my imagination in my work.