10.19.2008

Thinking of Africa

I joined a symposium on global issues and Africa held in Tokyo on Saturday. I could listen to the speech by Dr. John Hamre, the CEO of CSIS and other intelligent people. The United States seems to have its own strategy in terms of the use of military, morality, and financial business. In addition to the things which Dr. John mentioned, I would say, its attitude toward the environmental issues including foods has not been good. The US seems to get off a position to commit many things as a leader in the world and try to focus on its own direct and short-term interest. The question is, who will design the world? Who will try to perform as a leader?

And I had a chance to listen to Mr. Emile Rwamasirabo, an Ambassador of Rwanda. He said we must know Africa's history to take in consideration today's Africa. I say I am not familiar with what Japanese government has done to support these countries, and the current situation among these. I could learn that they have thought to have a common currency among some African countries. It seems the visions and thoughts of the Western ways have spread there.

Coincidentally, in the midnight, I could watch a movie, Hotel Rwanda. In the genocide, radio had played a role to cause the situation worse. The movie describes how easy people tend to flow the trends, and the importance for people to stand up to difficulties with using their own experience and intelligence. It also describes the strength of love for families, and indifference of developed countries. The people were waiting for the help from the West.

In 1994, I had already started my career. I was concentrated on my problems only. But now, I have learned and can use my imagination with thinking of my African friends lives.