2.15.2009

Country, Nation and Individual

What is the meaning of a country for you? I remember that nation-state is one of the important concept of international politics study. I belong to one nation, and am regulated by my nation's rule. I tend to think it is natural and no doubtful thing.

Today I watch one documentary on Singapore. It is trying to collect highly educated people from all over the world. It created a place called Biopolis, or Fusionpolis. Giving huge place to pursue their study with no limitation of budget as they want. At the same time, Singapore requires results. The documentary introduces one Japanese under the pressure to show some obvious result of his study.

I remember that Qatar also established a place called Education City where many intelligent people are gathered. Nations try to build up their quality with these policies.

And I begin to feel what my nation gives me. One thing will be freedom, but I am thinking of it for only limited people... I mean what about people coming outside my nation? The prime minister of Singapore says the workers coming from other countries are buffer. When there is shortage of human resources in business, those people are necessary. That means, when it is the time of recession, they are not necessary.

Is that the way it goes? What about the concept that everybody is equal? By watching the program, I begin to think this point. Not settled my mind yet, so I will try to keep thinking of this point.