7.05.2008

Japan and Singapore

In 2007, Singapore becomes no.1 country in Asian region in terms of GDP per a person. I read this article today, and the newspaper says this is based on the IMF data. Japan becomes no.2, and the article mentions that Singapore is eager to invite many foreign investments to stimulate the economy.

The message from this article is like "so what to do, Japan?". What does it mean to compete among countries? Well, I think it has some meaning. This trend has possibility to lead decline of Japan in the world and it will affect our lives in Japan.

In Singapore, they speak English and they are able to get much of western culture and information from the U.S. or the U.K. based on the assumption that there is no censorship. Yes, it is easy for Japanese to get that as well, but I am still doubtful that we are sometimes late to notice some very important change because of lack of ability in English. I mentioned about this before, I think...

People here tend to think within their own common sense, and it is important. However, I would say, we need to be interested in the outside of our own world which is very interesting.