7.07.2008

July 7th --- Tanabata

The G8 summit has started in northern part of Japan. Today is July 7th, a traditional event day for Japanese. We call it Tanabata and celebrate the peace. I found the explanation website written in English.

http://www2.gol.com/users/csr-kts/hiratsuka/tanabata/

I did not do anything special today, but I know I should. When I was a child, I tend to write my wish in a long and narrow paper (we call it Tanzaku) and hang it on the leaf of bamboo.

I watch a news program tonight, and I learned the G8 participants such as Bush, Brown, Fukuda and others also wrote their wishes on Tanzaku. They wish peace and I know it might be a kind of nonsense, but I would say, it is okay to wish vague things with discussion in concrete words and solution. We understand to protect the environment, and now we need the political leadership and reflection of each of us what we have done to the earth and what way we need to change. When we can get this type of message from G8 summit, I personally think it will become the valuable one.